Good news. FTP is slow, insecure and works poorly with the firewall. I hope every open source project shut down their FTP server ASAP.
From the mailing list:
After many years of serving the needs of our users, and some more of
declining usage in favor of better options, all public-facing debian.org
FTP services will be shut down on November 1, 2017. These are:
This decision is driven by the following considerations:
* FTP servers have no support for caching or acceleration.
* Most software implementations have stagnated and are awkward to use
* Usage of the FTP servers is pretty low as our own installer has not
offered FTP as a way to access mirrors for over ten years.
* The protocol is inefficient and requires adding awkward kludges to
firewalls and load-balancing daemons.
- Read more: Shutting down public FTP services