Greg Kroah-Hartman (GKH) is a major Linux kernel developer and the Linux, and kernel maintainer has released Linux kernel version 4.19.
CentOS Linux version 7 is a free and open source operating system. It is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux without dedicated support from Red Hat, Inc. CentOS is a popular choice for web hosting and other purposes.
Rolled-labels for direct thermal printing with Zebra Technology’s desktop printers and open source software provide a flexible and inexpensive solution for people having to do order fulfillment on a small scale. This page list a few open source libraries for sending data to Zebra Technology printers to set your workflow up with a script or small webapp.
Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games. It is define by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.
Bruce Perens is a computer programmer and advocates in the free software movement. He created The Open Source Definition and published the first formal announcement and manifesto of open source. He co-founded the Open Source Initiative (OSI) with Eric S. Raymond.
- Google ditches Ubuntu for Debian for internal engineering environment – Switches commercial model for contribution to open source.
- LWN.net Weekly Edition for January 11, 2018 – Some good info on Linux and open source.
- Red Hat reverts microcode update to mitigate Spectre, refers to hardware vendors for fix – RHEL 6.x/7.x and CentOS users beware. You must now wait for Intel to release microcode update. See also how to patch Spectre on Linux and how to patch Meltdown on Linux.
- The story behind our open source efforts – How to master the art of open source while working with your client. Good read.
- PHP-PM Is a Process Manager, Supercharger, and Load Balancer for PHP Applications – PHP-PM is an open-source process manager, supercharger, and load balancer for PHP applications. It uses ReactPHP to achieve event-driven, non-blocking I/O with PHP.
- The Linux commands you should NEVER use – Avoid typing these commands if you like your data.
- How to setup SYSLOG-NG AND ELASTICSEARCH 6 on RHEL/CentOS – This is a quick how-to guide to get you started with syslog-ng (the current version is 3.13) and Elasticsearch 6 on RHEL/CentOS 7.
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices – Learn how to secure your OpenSSH server running on a Linux or Unix server in cloud.
- 10 Lessons from 10 Years of AWS – For the last 10 years, I have had the chance to work in companies that embraced the cloud, and in particular AWS. This two-part blog post is an attempt to share that experience with you. Hope you enjoy! Please do not hesitate to give feedback, share your own stories or simply like 🙂
- Teaching an Almost 40-year Old UNIX about Backspace – Interesting article about older UNIX operating system.
- Librem 5 Phone Progress Report – Librem 5, the Linux phone that focuses on security by design and privacy.
- Wine 3.0 Released – This release represents a year of development effort and over 6,000 individual changes. It contains a large number of improvements such as:
- Direct3D 10 and 11 support.
- The Direct3D command stream.
- The Android graphics driver.
- Improved DirectWrite and Direct2D support.
Red Hat employee Christian F.K. Schaller addressed why GNU/Linux missed becoming a mainstream Linux desktop operating system for average person or open source enthusiast. From the blog post:
Audacity is a free and open-source audio editing software for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Unix-like operating systems. Audacity used to record and mix entire albums, post-processing of all types of audio, including podcasts by adding effects such as normalization, trimming, and fading in and out and more.
SQLite is a free and open source relational database management system. It is embedded into the end program.